Tomorrow we will discuss the requirements for final projects.
Good presentations will include the following elements:
1) A description of a disease or a condition that affects human health.
2) Review or proposal of a disease hypothesis that incorporates an evolutionary point of view (adaptationist, historical) and/or alternative hypotheses (e.g epiphenomenon, null hypothesis, non-adaptationist). This might take the form of a “why” question of ultimate causation.
3) Or, a comparison of disease therapies from an evolutionary point of view.
4) Ideally, predictions of hypotheses can be presented, or data if evidence exists.
5) Speculations about the implications of a hypothesis. If you present a idea that you do not agree with, give the reasons why or why an alternative is preferred.
The remainder will be limited to 15 minutes with a minute or two for questions. Please practice your presentation to make sure it will fit into that time restriction.
Please email me at my gmail account if you have any questions about the presentations, or want me to preview an outline of your talk. I would be more than happy to answer questions by email or in person by appointment.
See you manana,
Joe Alcock MD