The 2016 UNM Evolutionary Medicine course starts tomorrow, August 23rd, 2016!
Starting tomorrow, we will peel away conventional preconceptions about health and disease, using the lens of evolution to better understand our humanity and our well-being.
Students will learn:
- Amazing case studies that show why evolution matters to real patients.
- Cutting edge topics from expert guest lecturers in evolutionary medicine.
- Why evolution is indispensable for physicians and biomedical researchers.
- How we evolved with the human microbiome, with far-reaching consequences.
- And much more!
Teaching evolutionary medicine, podcasted:
Check the syllabus here.
Students: please read the following before class tomorrow:
1. Alcock and Schwartz 2011 A clinical perspective in Evolutionary Medicine: What we wish we had learned in medical school. Evolution: Education and Outreach, 2011.
2. Stearns . Evolutionary Medicine: Its Scope, Interest, and Potential. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 2013.
Optional, but please read if you have time:
- Rook. 2010. Clin Exp Immun 160: 70–79. (see emailed document)
- Stein et al. Innate Immunity and Asthma Risk in Amish and Hutterite Farm Children N Engl J Med 2016; 375:411-421.